Are you a sport lover? Then you should book a bed and breakfast in Cuba with us and enjoy a baseball game in Cuba. This is a great way to live the culture of the island closer, beyond the tourist traps.
How to enjoy a baseball game in Cuba?
Everyone in Cuba talks about baseball and play "la pelota" every time they can. It's normal to see the kids playing on the streets. If your children go with you on the trip, they can also be integrated into the game.
Baseball is the national sport and Cubans live it with passion. To live your cultural exchange at the most, you can not miss going to a game. Yes, there are a lot of tourist attractions, but we invite you to take a rest, buy a ticket -they are really cheap- and seat with the fans to cheer their team.
To attend a baseball game in Cuba you should travel between November and April. The regular season runs through those months. After those, they play 3 rounds of playoffs, culminating in a championship.
But it's easier to find tickets during the regular season, they will not be sold out. The tickets are cheap, they cost between 3 to 5 CUCs. And you can seat anywhere you want.
There are 16 professional baseball teams in Cuba, so you can check or the schedule and the stadiums to attend the game you want. But the most famous team plays in Havana, los Industriales. Also, Santiago de Cuba is very famous.
Inside the stadium you'll see vendors all around. They sell coffee, peanuts, peanut butter bars, popcorn and many more items. They can not sell alcohol too.
Cubans will be friendly with you during the game. They will come to you to talk about the game and they will treat you like an old friend. It's normal that they act this way, sure you also have experience this outside the stadium
In Havana, you must visit the Estadio latinoamericano. Some other stadiums around Cuba are Capitán San Luis, Cristóbal Labra, Santiago "Changa" Mederos, Augusto César Sandino and José Ramón Cepero, among others.
Some facts about baseball in Cuba
Here there are some details about baseball in Cuba:
- Baseball is the main sport in the island and is call "la pelota" (the ball).
- The Havana Baseball Club was the first baseball team founded in Cuba, around 1868.
- The Cuban Professional Baseball League was founded in 1978.
- 16 teams play at the Cuban league. They are organized in a West League and an East League.
- Los Industriales, representing Havana, is the team with more titles. 12 in total.
- The Estadio Latinoamericano, home of Los Industriales, is the most important in the island. It has a capacity for 55.000 spectators.
- Not all the rules of Cuban baseball are the same that in Major League Baseball (MLB). At the island, if one of the teams is losing by 10 or more runs the game ends. This is known as the mercy rule.